6.14.2013

Lessons learned

As we are getting ready to go on our first missions trip to Montana, we had to put together a packing list for the kids. Shoes, jeans, socks, toothbrush....you get the picture.

But since we are going to serve and represent God we didn't feel like saying, "wear what you want!" 
No, no, no that would not have turned out well. 

The shorts have to be a certain length, the swim suits can't be bikinis and your its cant be hanging out.

No tank tops, cap sleeves or t-shirts.

Things like that. Well in all honesty this was hard for me, I had to go buy new shorts so that I wasn't being hypocritical, I got a new swim suit and let's face it, I like to be tan with no lines so all of that goes against my tanning credentials 

So as I'm writing these "expectations" I discover that To me, there is a line, and I'm not sure whether that's good or it's bad.

The line is: should we as Christian women struggling to be modest in an immodest world be like everyone else, wear bikinis, wear tanks, wear short shorts. 

There are a couple parts to this answer to me.

"They just don't have modest clothing"

This season a lot of clothing stores have a good variety of both short-butt hanging out shorts and descent length shorts. They have accommodated well to different people's tastes in clothing. Kohls and target both had good varieties of swim suits, and shorts, so that's not a good reason. 

"This is what I have, and I don't have enough money to go buy new ones"

Better reason. But still. If you look on Pinterest they have all sorts of tips on lengthening you shorts, and even how to sew them. Use some lace, take out seams. I had three pairs of shorts that all had about a two inch seam. I took out the seems and made them longer.

" I just like wearing short shorts."

Ok this one gets me. My husband is a leg guy, so I thought that if I have shorts shorts and he likes them and I wear them for him, what's the problem....BIG PROBLEM!! You see, he's not the only guy you sees me wear them, and I do not like that, but what I did like it putting on the shorts that were a few inches longer and him telling me "those look goooood on you babe!" 

Guys can be creapy, BUT there are also guys who are trying to keep their minds pure and to be honest we don't help anything! Put some clothes on! They'll respect you more when they aren't trying to dodge all your goodies hanging out if you just cover up! 

"9I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God."  1Timothy 2:9 

We should dress modestly because The Lord asks us to. That's it, that's the whole reason. It's hard and doesn't seem like its necessary but it is, I like my bikinis. I like my shorts. But maybe choosing to wear a little longer shorts won't hurt anything and maybe choosing a different style of a swim suit won't hurt either. Even choosing the right place and time for them is a step.




 Cute summer outfit. Longer shorts

 Cute dressy outfit. Longer skirt 

2 comments:

  1. Good post Marissa! I totally recommend this little book for a short and easy Biblical read on the topic. I have a copy if you ever want to borrow it.

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/15906198?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great Kathy! I would love to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete